Educational advancement in all matters regarding the Virgin Mary
Registered Charity 1183579
Become a Fellow, Member or Associate of the Centre for Marian Studies
Fellows of the CMS are scholars with a track record of researching, writing, publishing, and presenting papers in Marian Studies and associated disciplines.
Fellows pay an annual subscription of £50 per year. The fee supports the work of the CMS, which is a registered charity. It provides access to a community of scholars with a strong interest in Marian Studies. It allows the fellow to use the postnominal FCMS, and to include fellowship of the CMS in demonstrating scholarly activity and information exchange when making bids or applying for academic posts. Fellows can also access the library collection of the CMS and will be invited to participate in CMS events at a reduced cost. They will receive regular updates on the work of the CMS. We hope that fellows will also publish articles in our peer-reviewed on-line journal, Maria: A Journal of Marian Studies (New Series, from 2021).
Applications are welcomed from any country. They will be peer reviewed by an existing fellow of the CMS who has knowledge of and can offer peer review of the applicant’s work (he/she need not be known to the applicant personally). A list of current fellows may be consulted on the CMS website at www.marianstudies.ac.uk. The peer review will take into account postgraduate qualifications, expertise, research, publishing, and contributions to conferences in Marian Studies, and the reviewer will write a letter of recommendation to the Director of the CMS, which will be considered at one of the six-monthly meetings of the trustees and management committee (normally in March and September).
Application Process for Fellowship status
1. Details of your qualifications, expertise, and contribution to Marian scholarship should be provided in a letter of application of no more than one page, which should include contact details. A list of publications (with full bibliographical information including page numbers) may be provided on a separate sheet. A summary C.V. of a general nature of no more than one page should also be attached to the application.
2. Please indicate the name of the fellow who should be contacted to provide a letter of recommendation.
3. Please send this information by email to the Director of the CMS, Dr Catherine O’Brien, at firstname.lastname@example.org, who will also answer any enquiries about the process.
Members of the CMS are those who wish to participate in the work of the Centre through reading, study, and attending events. They may be students whose work includes some element of Marian Studies.
Members pay an annual subscription of £25 per year (a reduced fee can be negotiated in special circumstances of financial difficulty). The fee supports the work of the CMS, which is a registered charity. Members can access the library collection of the CMS and will be invited to participate in CMS events at a reduced cost. They will receive regular updates on the work of the CMS.
Application Process for Membership status
1. Details of your interest in Marian studies should be provided in a letter of application of no more than one page. Include any relevant qualifications and courses of study that you might be undertaking, plus contact details.
2. Please send this information by email to the Director of the CMS, Dr Catherine O’Brien, at email@example.com, who will also answer any enquiries about the process.
Associates of the CMS are those who wish to keep in contact with the work of the Centre. There is no fee for associates, but they are encouraged to make donations to the CMS whenever possible. They will receive regular updates on the work of the CMS. To become an associate, please send your e-mail address to the Director of the CMS, Dr Catherine O’Brien, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment for fellowship and membership
By standing order or bank transfer. Our account details are: Centre for Marian Studies, Lloyds TSB, sort code: 30-94-85, account no.: 00624582. Please put your surname as reference.
By cheque. Payable to ‘Centre for Marian Studies’; send to Chris Maunder, CMS Treasurer, 5 Claro Mews, Knaresborough HG5 8BU.